Tivoli's founder, Georg Carstensen, was an inventive gentleman. He is probably best known today for having founded Tivoli. He did that back in 1843, but a few years before that he also had his own magazine about literature, art and music - a kind of magazine about what was "up to date". He called this magazine FIGARO.
The seafood bistro Figaro is thus named after Tivoli's founder Georg Carstensen's magazine from 1841 of the same name - see the original cover here on the right.
When Carstensen lacked subscribers to his magazine, he invited to the so-called "Figaro Parties" in Kongens Have in Copenhagen, where you had to be a subscriber to participate. Here he engaged Hans Christian Lumbye's orchestra to provide the music, and this became the start of a collaboration that continued when Carstensen founded Tivoli a few years later in 1843, where he invited Lumbye to be the man of music in the old garden.
Hans Christian Lumbye is today best known among the general public for the Champagne Gallop.
The name Figaro is therefore a tribute to two of the key figures in the creation of Tivoli, and from the restaurant there is a view of statues of both Georg Carsten and Hans Christian Lumbye.
Figaro is located in one of the newer buildings in the old garden. The building is from around 1960, and it was designed by Simon Henningsen - son of the somewhat better-known architect Poul Henningsen, who was especially known for the PH Lamp.
However, Simon Henningsen was also really good at designing lamps, which he, among other things, proven with the Tivoli Lamp, which is designed to reflect both light and Tivoli's fireworks at the same time.
The Tivoli Lamp was originally designed for one of Tivoli's former restaurants, Divan 2, but the lamp has of course also found a place in several places in Figaro.
Figaro became part of Tivoli's history when the doors opened for the first time in the spring of 2021.